We’ve all been there. Reaching to the bottom of the treat bag and finding nothing but crumbs, while Fido excitedly waits for his favorite dog treat. Instead of disappointing Fido, you may have an acceptable treat alternative in your pantry already. Check out these foods that you should and shouldn’t feed your dog:
- Apples! These are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber for your dog. Just make sure you remove the seeds!
- Blueberries! Blueberries are antioxidant rich and full of fiber for your dog.
- Cucumbers! This healthy alternative is especially good for overweight dogs, as they hold little to no carbohydrates, fats, or oils and they can even boost energy levels.
- Carrots! Carrots are an excellent low-calorie snack that is high in fiber and beta-carotene, which produces vitamin A.
Foods to Avoid:
- Grapes are toxic to dogs and should be avoided. Both grapes and raisins can hurt Fido’s liver.
- The pit, skin, and leaves of avocados contain Persin, a toxin that often causes vomiting diarrhea.
- Not only does the pit create a choking hazard, cherries contain toxic chemicals that disrupts cellular oxygen transport and can be seriously dangerous for your dog.