02 Dec HOLIDAY PLANTS TO KEEP YOUR PUP AWAY FROM
‘Tis the season where many people are decking their halls with garlands, trees and more! Although the festive displays are pleasing to the eye, there are some plant varieties that can have unpleasant and dangerous effects on your pet’s health. Whether you’re staying at home for the holidays or visiting relatives with Fido in tow, it’s important to be aware of holiday plants that could be dangerous for your dog to be around.
Poinsettias: For many years, it was commonly believed that poinsettias were deadly for pets. However, it is now known that this is a highly unlikely outcome if your dog was to ingest a part of a poinsettia. Despite the lowered risk, ingesting a small amount of this flower will still cause nausea and vomiting. These plants are also sometimes treated with pesticides, which can be lethal if ingested. To be safe, it is best to keep your pups far away from these pretty red flowers!
Holly & Mistletoe: These common festive plants are more dangerous to pets than poinsettias. If ingested, your dog may experience vomiting and diarrhea, excessive drooling, abdominal pain, drop in blood pressure, breathing problems – and if a large enough quantity is ingested, seizures and death. It is recommended to keep all forms of these plants (leaves, berries, dried) far away from your fur-babies.
Christmas Trees: Not only do Christmas trees pose a threat to pets due to their lights and ornaments, but the oils produced by the tree can irritate your pup’s mouth and stomach and cause excessive vomiting and drooling. The pine needles, if swallowed, can create gastrointestinal obstruction and punctures. The water from the tree may also be dangerous due to mold, bacteria and fertilizers that can make your dog extremely ill if even a small amount is ingested. Keep the water covered at all times!
If you simply can’t resist having these items around your home, there are plenty of well-made fake plant varieties that can give your house the holiday spirit – without putting your pupper at risk!