Thanksgiving Leftovers You SHOULDN’T Share with Fido

Thanksgiving is right around the corner! The delicious smells of home cookin’ will surely have your doggo glued to your ankles the entire time you’re in the kitchen. It’s tempting to share with your pup, but there are certain Thanksgiving foods your dog shouldn’t be eating.


Not only is this information important for you as the owner, but it’s important to make sure your relatives or Thanksgiving guests are aware, too!


Thanksgiving Don’ts:

Turkey Skin. While it’s easy to assume dogs can consume all meat products, the skin of a turkey is very hard for dogs to ingest, upsetting their stomach.


Turkey Bones. Bones from a turkey (or any animal) pose a large choking and injury hazard due to their risk for splintering into small, sharp fragments.


Stuffing. Stuffing has a LOT of components, and many doggo no-no’s are hiding within. Chives, garlic, onion, grapes and raisins are particularly harmful – all of which are found in stuffing recipes.


Mashed potatoes. Pets cannot digest dairy as easily as humans do, resulting in an upset stomach or diarrhea. Mashed potatoes often contain lots of salt, which can be especially dangerous for your pet to consume in large amounts. Avoid sharing mashed potatoes, salty foods and foods with dairy.


Desserts. Many people are already aware that chocolate can be extremely poisonous to our precious pups. However, there are other dessert items that shouldn’t be fed to your dog either! Although plain pumpkin is good for your dog’s digestive health, pumpkin pie is sugary and not a good option for table-scrap snacks. If your dog seems like they’re craving a festive snack, try making them these pumpkin peanut butter treats from one of our previous blogs!


WARNING: Just because it doesn’t appear on this list, doesn’t give the food a green light to give to your dog! If you’re unsure – just don’t. It’s never worth risking the health of your fur-baby.


Click here for more info on foods your dog should avoid. If you’re worried about human food your pup has ingested (or anything, for that matter), call your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary clinic ASAP.